Clam How to Guide

hailcaesar
Jan 16, 2010
Alot of discussion, mainly by the newer players, on how to make clams, or better yet, how not to lose them so quickly. A few things that I have learned I am putting here for the forum readers. I am not an expert by any stretch but do make clams every day.

QUICK GUIDE!!

Walk! Take all your steps as often as you can. When you can afford it upgrade your steps to the max!

No pets! Nothing to feed/re-energize/recharge!

No Auto Battle! Eats clams (and weapons) like crazy!

Sell! Put all you can in your market and sell for one clam less than anybody else! Expanding your market and pack are always good ideas, especially market.

Unless you have alot of clams stay away from Sannas Garden! (Or if your tribe storage/store is full and you replenish it often) High risk but high reward option here.

No kill shots and/or kill shot quests.

No 50/50 quests until you have alot of clams to play with, can be costly, personally i've lost 11 in a row before!

Fish! Can't say enough about this! You get items to sell/eat/use including Gold! Use stone pole and cheapest food you have and do not buy the bait for gold, waste of big time clams! Stone pole and walnuts can catch gold as good as a magic pole and frog.

These simple tips should get you on your way to making a boat load o clams!!

How To Clam Guide Extended Edition:::

***UPDATE***with the price that gold is going for, around 150-250 per, (and up!) FISHING is by far the easiest way to make clams. I usually get between 3-10 clams every time I fish, at 150-250 per that is between 450-2500!! That's crazy clams!! And that is for every hour! I also use a gold pole and use fish bones, berries, moss etc. for bait, you DO NOT need the expensive poles and bait! I have caught the same items with a stone pole as a gold pole. Stone poles are repairable also...Good Luck!!*****

First and foremost, this is a free game, and an excellent one, you are not going to make a living off of this game, period. You will not be able to quit your job and sit here all day and withdraw hundreds of dollars a day or week or month, it would be nice, but its not going to happen so please play the game simply as a game, have fun! *(written while game was still RCE_real cash economy)

To start off, imho, never play the 50/50 or lottery or slot machine. Purely sucker bets, even if you do win 50% of the time in 50/50 you lose because of the house cut.(the percentage the house takes) Las Vegas isn't the city it is today because it makes people rich. I realize alot of folks gripe because of a % here and % there taken but the game must be able to support itself or it won't be here anymore.

Also, never do the "kill shot" after defeating the monster. Another sucker bet. Why take the chance, 50-50, that you can double or lose what you have just earned?? And earned by using life/energy, wear and tear on your weapons? Take the clams you win and buy elixir. More on this later, very important topic for saving clams.

***If you have the clams already (meaning several thousands) doing the 50/50 quest and kill shot quests are a good option. 50/50 quest gives you 2 quest points in return for completing the quest. Again, only if you already have quite a few clams already on hand. If you are clam poor keep to the guide and avoid these!

Quests can become extremely costly after a while. I prefer to always stay away from the "luck" quest, which will ask you to do a 50/50, or an item quest, which will ask for items then give you something in return. Can be a crap shoot to even break even after delivering many items and hoping for the equal in return. Once you have 20 quests you can "cash" them in. I definitely recommend using the recharge energy/life/hunger rather than use 25 quest points for a grab bag Huge crap shoot taking a grab bag or buying one. But the recharge is worth many, many clams. At my level it is worth around 1000 clams if I am at zero in all 3 categories. That's a huge savings.

**Update** The best redemption for quest points, I believe, is the 50 qp for 20 gold. 20 gold will sell for betweem 3000-6000 clams. Some people prefer to take the stat points (50 qp for 1 stat pt.) but this is a decision you will have to ultimately decide which is best for you.

Once you are able to get to Gondwana and do the Sannas task, keep in mind that you will have to balance the task with the possible reward. She asks for items and gives in return. I enjoyed them til about 50 or so, then she wanted way too much for what I was getting as a reward. I could have bought the reward item alot cheaper from the market. There have been some tweaks to Sannas quests but not enough. Exasperating to get a banana for gold axe, jaguar pelt, pearl and sabertooth tooth! I recommend, strongly, stay away from Sanna's Garden!

For beginners the gathering stat seems to be the most productive for making clams. Hunting can also be productive because of the amount of clams you can get per kill. (but you usually get clams based on amount of damage that you sustain) The higher the gather stat the more you will find on your steps each hour. (nothing easier than finding clams, lol) That brings up another point, what to do with what you find. Key--WALK- WALK-WALK! Pick up them clams and goodies and sell in your market!

Hunting. Again, this can bring in some clams but you do take alot of damage on the life scale. Hunting/battling monsters is by far the quickest way to level up due to the amount of experience you will receive fighting them. Hunting is basically fighting all/most of the monsters you run into on a walk or steps. When hunting use the highest weapons available for your level. This maximizes damage to the monster and saving damage done to you.

*****To make clams, potentially hundreds of clams, when hunting do NOT use auto battle! This will drain your clams very quickly! Manual battle, on the other hand, will actually make you clams. Fight lots of monsters and use manual battle and watch your clam pile grow!

Energy. Time and clams are the only thing that can re-energize you, until recently. The bottomless pit allows you to throw items into it and will restore you 1 pt per item, so never throw away sticks and stones, use them for this purpose. Here is where a pack upgrade comes in handy so you don't have to empty it so often.

**The easiest and cheapest way to save clams is to allow your character to recharge over time, its free and even works offline. I know its hard to do this, we all want to play constantly, but if your struggling and run out of life/energy, walk away for a few hours and come back. You'll be recharged somewhat and able to take a few steps and hopefully find some resources/clams.

Loot. You will not make a living off of looting, *(although you can make a pretty clam. My highest loot is over 1000 clams, others have had double and triple that) period. Don't waste precious stat points on loot early, gather (see Huntah's guide for LOTS more information on the game, very good.) is the stat to use mostly early. However, under level 10 you can reset stats for free, experiment and see which works best for you.

Open your market! I can't believe how many people don't make use of theirs or have nothing in it. For me, everything that I cannot eat or equip goes into the market for sale. For best results use the search market feature to determine your selling price. Don't simply put 100 clams for a lion pelt when everyone else is selling for 10 and vice-versa.

The market is also a great place to store what you need for later purposes. Simply put a high price on the items so that they will not sell. Some even leave it at zero. Market upgrades are ALWAYS a good idea.

Making clothes/weapons. This "guide" is mostly for the newer players trying to keep clams in their pockets but many clams can be made when your over level 20 and start tailoring clothes and forging weapons. I will leave the explanation of this to those more qualified. One point to keep in mind is that clothes can be expensive and need to be repaired. The more rare an item of clothing the more it will cost to repair it. If you like to hunt or fight clothes can be a good investment as they do offer some protection. Refer to the more advanced guides for specifics. (full repair of the EBR is 300 clams, but defense has now been increased for clothing so it does definitely help in battle)

Observations on war and clothes. Most expensive, and with the most strength is the Enchanters Bone Regalia (EBR), great defensive value but with this comes the repair cost of 4 clams per repair point. This can add up quickly in war. Not for the caveman who is broke. For me, and again, my personal opinion, I've only fought in around 20 wars, the best "economical" clothing is the lion pelt clothing, strength of 40, only costs around 100 clams and is 2 clams per repair point. Fur Boots can also be worn together with your choice of clothes, with a strength of 20 and cost 1 clam per repair point. Once you are to level 20 or higher i recommend the Enchanters Bone Regalia/fur boots. Many higher levels use no weapon and no defensive clothing because their stats are so high. Ultimate clam saving option!

Make use of the junkyard and auctions. You can find great bargains on the auction. Click market and auctions and view ending soon and take a look, remember what you bid is held in reserve til auction is over and if you do not win you get your bid clams back. The junkyard has lots of items, including gold weapons, they are at only a few % points of their total value however that does not reduce the damage on each attack. In other words a gold bow at 1% hits at the same power as it does at 100%. Sometimes, like during a war or just a few hours, a cheap weapon will definitely be worth it.

Make deals with other players. Many are open to personal messages about items they are selling, especially the more expensive, like clothing, as long as you are willing to buy. Don't be afraid to ask, they can only say no. (especially with the recently added trade feature. awesome, especially with your tribemates, really helps the forgers/weapon makers in your tribe) I recently did a "friend" deal and bought gold for 50 clams per vs. the over 100 it was going for at the time.

Once you have played the game for a while you can get a feel for how much items are worth. And if you have the clams you can get a super deal when you spot them while searching markets. I always find something extremely cheap in someones market, it just takes a while to look through a few every hour. For example, ruby elixir for 15 clams, leather clothing for 100 clams, wheel for 200 clams, these are actual examples and most everyone has their own I'm sure. Don't forget to go to the tar pits every 30 mins. and get your freebie! Some even find clams and gold there. Don't be afraid to refresh the screen and look at more items available.

Below has to be rewritten because of the ridiculous price of diamond/ruby elixirs.

Elixirs for life. This can be a huge clam saver. Instead of using clams to increase your life, use elixirs. How? Go into a walk (steps) fully packed with some life, or pearl or ruby or diamond elixirs(depending on your level). Then during battle when your running low on life, choose other item in the dropdown box under attack and reload. Why does this help? The key is to buy the elixir cheaper than 50 for ruby or 100 for diamond. Because to buy life it is 2 pts per 1 clam. So if you buy a ruby for 40, it is worth 100 life (so you save 10 clams in this example)If you buy a diamond elixir for 80 this can save you 20 clams in the long run. This can add up to substantial savings over time. This has saved me 100's of clams if not 1000's. Key is do not spend over 49 for Ruby and 99 for Diamond, i try to buy at 45 and 85. And stock up if I find them even cheaper. ***This rarely if ever is seen anymore, with the price of elixirs having skyrocketed. Best ruby prices around 130 now and diamond around 180, makes this paragraph virtually meaningless***

Use your weapons wisely. Always use the best weapon for your level. Here is a link for you to check out: http://bcwars.wikkii.com/wiki/Weapons
This is important so when you do battle you get the most hit each attack, even leaving the monster/player with one hp left they can still deal you a huge life loss. Also be sure to check after each attack to see how much hp they have left. Sometimes you don't even need to use weapons if you have high power stats. Each time you use a non repairable weapon, its one closer til it is gone. In other words don't use your gold bow and gold tipped spear when you opponent has 10 hp left. Save your expensive weapons!

Bank. Always get an account, the small fee to start up is worth it. I don't like the deposit % fee but we can't do much about that and its a game that must pay for itself. Mainly to keep your clams safe. Clams in the bank cannot be looted. If, however, you keep 1000 clams on your person and are looted you can lose quite a bit of it!

Pets. Pets are expensive and up to the individual if they want one or not. They help you in battle and your cave defenses. They are mortal and will pass away after around 80-90 days from what I read. big investment. **my pets are now 140 and 150 days old, so they last longer than originally planned** (youth elixir) Pets are worth it in my opinion. I try to buy one that is level 10 or so on day 1-3. Usually can be a few hundred clams.

**** I personally use no pet and therefore never have to recharge their life and energy. I also use no armor while fighting, never have to repair that either. You'd be surprised how quickly your clams add up when you don't use pets/armor.

Caves. Caves are very expensive, look for a trade if possible. Many of the "bigger" players (high ranked, high level) have lots of land they are willing to trade. Land is scarce in this world and it is bought up within minutes of being released. Mark up is usually 400% in Pangea alone. Caves help with regeneration levels and keeping items safe from looting. Hatching eggs, caves are a must. To buy a lock box, you must have a cave first.

Tribes. Tribe membership is quite expensive, however they can be free, depending upon which tribe you join. However, you should always make contributions to help the tribe make upgrades. I am a member of a tribe myself but if you are new I would hold off a while and learn the game before joining. Some tribes are just for beginners, to help you advance, check them out. They do have their upsides too, they have tribe stores where you can get weapons, usually very cheap or even free. If you would like to participate in wars you must join. Wars increase your experience quite quickly if you constantly battle. My advice here is to wait, do some research, chat in the forums and use the in game chat a while and then decide. Again, it can be expensive, most require a fee to join then a fee every few days, some even require items. Most do not charge anymore these days and tribes now have storage and stores. Where you can take things when needed or buy things cheap for quests/battles, etc. Just be sure to replenish to keep your mates happy! Being part of a good tribe is definitely a plus!

Eggs. Always a risk, they may not hatch. Can usually find a good price now, just check the markets constantly. If you really want a pet, see if you can find a cheap egg and take your chances or simply buy a pet on the pet market. Click "none" by your head in the upper left and click "view pet market" to see whats for sale. The higher your cave level and worth increase the odds of the egg hatching. Although this can be very expensive in itself. **update--gold eggs are guaranteed to hatch.

Upgrades are expensive and should be thought of carefully. Steps for gatherer/hunters are usually worth it imho. Looting upgrades will never pay for themselves. Pack and market upgrades are always worth it if you use them. **Upgrades are still quite step especially with the gold cost now. For example, to increase your bank capacity by 1000 clams it cost 20 gold. Thats about 1500 clams cost to increase your bank limit by 1000. Some of these still need to be adjusted, they are listed under the old clam cost and not converted properly.

Lockbox. I do have a lock box and keep items in it. Some would say a lockbox isn't worth it because you can use your market in the same way, personal preference, again, is the rule here. You can also use trade space and junk yard for storage. I, personally, do not see the need to purchase a lock box. I use my market place. At present 75% of my market is used for personal storage.

Travel. These again are much a personal preference. They are expensive but if you have the clams can make your gaming experience much more enjoyable. The instant travel with the "bird" is well worth it. I do have a bird and boat and rent them out. Will they pay for themselves?? Maybe in a few months, but I do have 35 pages of rents right now. **have over 35 pages of rents now, they have all paid for themselves.. It does get old and time consuming by having to keep paying for passage to different lands and taking up to 20 minutes. If this game, like most web browser games, teaches us anything, it is patience! ******Get a ptero, you will have to travel! Get several when you are wealthy and rent them out!!

Again, these are my personal opinions about the game, which I enjoy greatly, and I hope they can help you to enjoy the game. It is much more enjoyable when you have the clams to play with. I have bought clams here, 3000 to be precise. I have also made many 1000's more and have 25K+ right now. I also have gold axes, spears and a flying pterodactyl, sailboat, clothing , many upgrades, etc and I have spent many 1000's for those. I am just passing on some tips I have learned and heard in my time on BC Wars. Thanks for any input/corrections/clarifications/ideas etc. Thanks to all those who help me along the way, much appreciated!!

For a much better and more detailed how to guide, the best is here: http://bcwars.com/forum/topic/85

That is the link to Huntah's guide.

Humbly submitted,
Hailcaesar

tonyning01
Jan 16, 2010
nicely done. newcomers should take a close look at it.
Wanted
Jan 16, 2010
A great guide, good job.
Huntah
Jan 16, 2010
Nicely done kind of a basic translation of what's been already written, well done though!
hailcaesar
Jan 16, 2010
Thanks guys/gals for the nice response, got some mail too. True, most has been written, nothing groundbreaking here, was just putting out some personal preferences that work well for me. Would like to help keep the newcomers from getting frustrated and leaving.

Adding add'l info as it comes up and if someone catches errors, please let me know. Thanks again.
KingAlpha
Jan 16, 2010
Thats a very long written guide,and not bad.And should help lots of new player , but my technique are much better n thats for me
jazemind
Jan 16, 2010
Very nice, well writen and easy to understand. Thank you for explaining a few things that i am
sure will help me.
jaze
Huntah
Jan 17, 2010
I've stickied this for easier locating.
Eklypse
Jan 19, 2010
Good work with the guide, Huntah. Helps me a lot.
Huntah
Jan 30, 2010
Good work with the guide, Huntah. Helps me a lot.

Well this one isn't made by me but thanx
ltrd23
Jan 30, 2010
i think wat new comer is gona readthat much any way lol i wouldnt but i started in it sounded bretty helpful but i like to gamble to much ...........
hailcaesar
Jan 31, 2010
Lol, yep this definitely isn't for the gambler types, which is obvious when you read. Just some ideas to help people along who seem to have a hard time getting clams. Gambling, just like in real life, isn't the way to make your fortune, saving what you have is. Thanks for the feedback.
Terr
Feb 2, 2010
@hailcaesar sorry but i have to disagree, i made all my clams from gambling ;) (dont play anymore, because the RCE was taken out). i made a tactic in one of the gambling games and i got all my clams for it. if you guys want me to write the tactic of how to make clams from it make a topic. if atleast 10ppl will want ti ill write it. right now i have passed this tactic to only 1 other person. dunno how hes doing with it since i havent heard from him in a while
NOSSS
Mar 28, 2010
Great job hailcaesar....thx on shareing your experience with us - I needed this
Kawseer
Aug 31, 2010
Thank you, I agree with how you do things. This gave me some insight on what to keep doing and what not to continue doing. Thank you.

Also, I'm a newbie and read the whole thing. Some of us newbies do read, ltrd23.
hailcaesar
Sep 2, 2012
Thank you for the kind comments!
hailcaesar
Sep 2, 2012
Thank you for the kind comments!
tokipocky
Feb 3, 2013

Thank you so much for making this :D

I'm a new player and I just joined the day before yesterday :)

This helped me a lot and I already have 3500c in my bank ^_^

((Thanks to all the people who bought stuff in my shop too eheheh))

SmithMichae2
Feb 5, 2016
awesome!
SmithMichae2
Feb 18, 2016
virtualjohn
Jun 8, 2016
the weapons wiki link given above is dead but use http://bcwars.wikidot.com/weapons instead.

One thing not mentioned directly above is don't lose a fight or tie a fight. Each time you win a fight you'll gain X clams, if you tie the same fight you'll get X/2 clams and if you lost the same fight you'd get X/4. so each time you fight make sure on a separate tab, before you fight, that you've healed yourself and repaired your weapons (if you can) and are using the best weapons your level lets you. When you heal only go for an even amount as that last odd point costs a clam to likely no real gain, 1000 fights later and that would be 1000 clams wasted otherwise

second when you're not playing/stepping try to leave your character with some health missing and have a tab open with you logged in to BCwars so you'll heal the missing health, if you come back when fully healed you can step and burn a bit of that health and turn it into clams! The downside of this is that you're vulnerable to looting so you may want to invest pet points into guarding, stat points into looting and upgrade the security of your cave in each region.

Lastly if you don't have much by way of clams, raid the tar pit every 30 mins for items to sell on the market to raise some regular clam income, when you're a higher level character you'll dump excess items into the tar pit for xp that others in your position will claim. You can also visit the great river once an hour.

SmithMichae2
Feb 10, 2017
a0714
Aug 6, 2017
If you really really want to earn and save clams, Don't do Quests .   The game is designed for users to spend more completing them than rewarded.  Travel quests are the only ones I accept.  If you don't believe me , just take a look at my clams ranking.  ☺
rihanna
Oct 25, 2017
craed
Nov 27, 2017