Joe Satriani vs Steve Vai

Willy33
Nov 16, 2007
who do you prefur out of these two legendary Guitarists i prefur Joe Satriani but there i would rather listen to Zakk Wylde thats Ozzy Osbourne's Guitarist
graydoh
Nov 16, 2007
JOE SATRIANI yew
Champion_of_Ithaca
Nov 19, 2007
steve vai is far superior in my opinion, his technique is better, his compositions are far more intricate and he plays more styles.

but i like both players alot.

i got one of wyldes solo albums once and i cant listen to it, just loads of wah and not alot of music. some of the stuff he does with ozzy and his own band is pretty good though.

i like my neoclassical players though, like malmsteen or becker or romeo. very good. i saw michael angelo batio at wacken this year, was amazing. i doubted him until i witnessed it.

eagleeyes1970
Nov 19, 2007
Joe Satriani is great but hey you all forget about the greatest of all time Jimmi Hendrix,without him none of those other's would be as good.
Champion_of_Ithaca
Nov 20, 2007
no way. he was good enough for his day and has inspired people but there where already guys out there back then playing amazing stuff, i dont think hes really as important as all that. neoclassical would have happened without him anyway.
Willy33
Nov 22, 2007
Jimi Hendrix was the best for his time and true he inspired alot of the greats there are today but he wasent good he just had a unique style to it and the things he did is what insires people
Undisclosed
Dec 10, 2007
He may not be legendary, but he is amazingly skilled. I will have to throw a vote in for Herman Li. Not only is he crazy fast, but he's actually got the skills to match his speed, so he sounds genuinely musical. That, and the random pac-man, ghost, explosion and other sound effects he's able to make with a guitar rock.
Air27
Jan 7, 2008
zakk wylde by far, listen to farewell ballad on youtube its insanely full of emoition and skill
yayap507
Mar 30, 2008
herman li CANNOT play live. hes given WAY too much credit. Dragonforce is good the first few times you listen to them, then you see em live.....yeah.....no.
in the satch vs vai battle......vai, satch uses WAY too many effects.
best shredder of all time....i have to say jason becker and/or marty friedman.
Temujinn
Apr 13, 2008
Vai sounds like Satch, its pathetic he learned fomr the man and has never done an original bit of playing.

Vai is merely Satch remixed.
VashTheStampede
Apr 13, 2008
hey Stave Vai is the best in all cases... Satriani is a kid related to him...also Malmsteen is a lot better
Temujinn
Apr 15, 2008
Steve Vai, was trained by Satch and sounds like Satch. A total lack of originality instantly makes one not the best. He's like a cheap cover band.

And Malmsteen...his style can only be described as masturbatory.
Princessjim
Jun 2, 2008
SATRIANI!
greatkender
Jun 8, 2008
Vai
Hexis
Jun 9, 2008
I love both but prefer the Satch. I should be biased towards Vai as I am a huge Zappa fan, but Satriani has a uniqueness about him hard to match.
Lol Temujinn, masturbatory? rofl! i'm sure Freud would say thats true of all guitar players
SC_Dawg
Jun 10, 2008
Satch

Satch is not as good when both are at the top of their game compositionally (sic) but Satch stays in the very, very good range far more of tne time than Vai.

But give me Vic Wooten any day of the week
rockbigmoney2
Jun 10, 2008
Neither.

Listen to Batio. You will never look at a guitar the same again.
SC_Dawg
Jun 10, 2008
I've listened to him, still prefer Satch. For pure shredding take a listen to Rusty Cooley.
kyle51
Oct 11, 2008
satriani any day
ElectricJam
Oct 12, 2008
Both, neither, yes no maybe . . . sometimes? No wait: never. My opinion, yours - theirs . . .

Just groove on the stuff you dig.
MangeuDePoutine
Oct 13, 2008
Steve solo are hard but doesn't sound as good as Joe solo...
stratrebel
Nov 17, 2008
Both are amazing but, If I have to pick, Joe wins.
I like his songs better.
BIGBIRD12
Dec 2, 2008
satriani

VikingPirate
Dec 3, 2008
"herman li CANNOT play live. hes given WAY too much credit. Dragonforce is good the first few times you listen to them, then you see em live.....yeah.....no. "

Actually he can play reasonably well live when sober, ive seen them three times, the first two times they where rubbish but the last time they where actually quite good, but still his technique is over-rated, alot of it is just a million whammy pedal. Still props to them for creating something original.

Vai is not a satch clone, thats ridiculous, and the trained by satch thing is a bit of a stretch, he was more trained by zappa really. listen to real illusions and tell me hes a satch clone.

Plus Satch brought us Engines of Creation possibly the worst album ever =p

anyways, the reall underrated players are shawn lane, allan holdsworth and eric johnson.
rockbigmoney2
Mar 20, 2009
I've listened to him, still prefer Satch. For pure shredding take a listen to Rusty Cooley.

Batio, if I'm not mistaken, holds the Guiness record for fastest BPM on a guitar.